Yonge Street has so much to offer! At Silver Snail, you can grab some coffee at the Black Canary Espresso Bar in the store while looking for your latest issue. Or up the street, you can shop comics, games, and more at One Million Comix and Next Move Games. Keep an eye open for Matt Hansen, the writer of Zoom, who stops in for his weekly fix!
- One Million Comix and Next Move Games: 531 Yonge St, Toronto, ON, M4Y 1Z2
- Silver Snail and Black Canary Espresso Bar: 329 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M5B 1R7
The Annex is really where it’s at in the way of comic book finds! First up is Labyrinth Comics is a collector’s friend with a wide variety of comic books, related items, cards, and much more. Though not necessarily a comic book store, I’d be negligent if I failed to mention the amazing used comics collection available at the Bloor Street BMV—sure, look at all the other books, but scour the thousands of back issues in their upstairs section!
And now we come to The Beguiling. Don’t be afraid if you get lost in this store that is overflowing with the best collection of comic book art books around—you won’t be the first to lose time submerged in their stacks, and you won’t be the last! Stop in on the other side of the block at their little sister store, Little Island Comics, and pick something up for the kids in your life—or, go ahead and just get something for yourself at the first store in North America to cater exclusively to the young comic book enthusiast. And, if at all possible, plan on coming back to town for the Toronto Comic Arts Festival in May—organized by Beguiling’s staff and the help of the Toronto Public Library system, TCAF has made a name for itself in a few short years as one of the best independent comic arts festivals and attached librarian and educators conference all in the name of promoting visual literacy and comic book culture. If you can’t make, at the very least, you should check out their year-round shop on the main floor of the Toronto Reference Library, Page & Panel.
- The Beguiling: 601 Markham St, Toronto, ON M6G 2L7
- Little Island Comics: 742 Bathurst St, Toronto, ON M5S 2R6
- Page & Panel: 789 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 2G8
- Toronto Comic Arts Festival
If you are looking to get away from the festival frenzy:
The above are just a small taste of what Toronto has to offer in the way of comics. If you need to get away from the hustle and bustle for a bit, check out the following places and explore a little more of the this comics-and-film-loving town! One of my first stops when I get to Toronto is the amazing Comic Book Lounge + Gallery.
- Comic Book Lounge + Gallery: 484 Oriole Parkway, Toronto, ON M5P 2H8
- Red Nails II: 1700 Wilson Ave, North York, ON M3L 1B2 and 18 Jane St, York, ON M6S 3Y2, Canada
- Atomic Age Comics: 497 Pape Av, Toronto, ON M4K 3R1
- Paradise Comics: 3278 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M4N 2L6
- Excalibur Comics: 3030 Bloor St W, Etobicoke, ON M8X 1C4
But whatever you do, be sure to make your way to the screenings of Zoom and The Missing Girl!
Tues, Sept 15, 10:15 PM SCOTIABANK
Wed, Sept 16, 9:45 PM SCOTIABANK
The Missing Girl screens:
Sun, Sept 13, 10:00 PM SCOTIABANK
Tues, Sept 15, 4:15 PM SCOTIABANK
Sun, Sept 20, 2:30 PM SCOTIABANK